As LPU prepares to serve our students and fulfill our God-given mission, we are diligently planning to return to campus in the safest way possible. We want to make sure safety and flexibility are at the forefront for next fall. We are trusting and believing in faith that God will continue to care for our students, faculty, and staff as He has this past semester. In search of God's wisdom, the leadership of LPU has strategically collaborated with a team of staff and faculty, experts, and the broader community to follow proper procedures and measures that will support a safe return to campus.
As we prayed about our plans, Life Pacific University president, Angie Richey, stated, "We are excited to welcome new and returning students to campus for the 2020-21 school year… This has been a season of courage for the LPU family as we have navigated the many challenges to ensure the safety of the students, staff, and faculty we serve." We believe in our students and want to help them move forward in their educational journey.
The result of months of research and dialogue has informed the guidelines and decisions explained below. We pray Numbers 6:24-26 over our students and our LPU team, "The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine on you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace." Please join us in prayer as we position ourselves to return to campus and continue the mission in the world. If you have any questions regarding LPU's Return to Campus Plan, please contact the Office of Student Development at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Return to Campus Plan is broken into several areas. You may find info about each area below:
Health + Wellness
In line with current best scientific practices, Life Pacific University will prioritize viral testing as a way to assist in diagnosing possible positive cases from consistent screening on campus, as well as a way to aide thorough and efficient contact tracing and isolation/quarantine.
In the event of a possible positive COVID-19 case, Life Pacific University will require the student, staff, or faculty member to obtain a viral test. The local locations that are best suited to handle this efficiently are the following:
Once a possible positive case is found, the student, staff, and/or faculty member will be sent home to be isolated/quarantined and directed to obtain a viral test. Contact tracing will commence immediately, and the proper channels will be notified.
In the event of a possible positive case found through the screening processes put in place on campus, the student, staff, or faculty member will be sent home immediately to be isolated/quarantined and advised to contact their primary care physician and coordinate viral testing. Contact tracing will happen at 3 levels and is outlined in LPU’s Response Plan
Even in uncertain times, we stand with our vision to integrate biblical truths, faith, leadership, and learning in a scholarly environment that cultivates critical and creative thinking, academic excellence, and professional competence. Our faculty is committed to academic quality and the learning process of our students during difficult seasons.
Flexibility and Support
We understand the need for flexibility and additional care/support for our students. For this reason, we are working to implement a "Hyflex" model. This is a modified hybrid model with classroom and online components that could help us be ready to jump fully online if needed. It is coupled with additional support from our faculty in collaboration with student success coaches.
Following guidelines and expert advice, we are preparing our classroom experience to be safe and secure. Modified schedules to allow social distancing measures and active learning activities appropriate to regulations. We care for the safety of our faculty and students; thus, additional cleaning and disinfecting will be done regularly.
Technology and Online Pedagogy
The new realities we endured this spring, call for greater innovation and use of technology. We understand this and will continue to work to improve our internet speed/connectivity, think about ways to support our students with technology, upgrade our LMS system, and further invest in faculty online pedagogy.
Events + Gatherings
All events and gatherings will comply with county and state regulations and recommendations. This will include appropriate limitations on number of participants, social distancing, and an increase of precautionary efforts.
Housing will be modified to comply with county and state regulations and recommendations. Social distancing guidelines within residence halls will be required and enforced. Students will be asked to wear a mask and social distance outside of their living areas/quads.
- LPU will prepare and set aside rooms for isolation and quarantine.
- Residence hall common areas and hallways will be modified to follow social distancing guidelines and procedures.
- Extra cleaning in common areas and bathrooms will happen on a weekly basis
The Café and Loop will be available for a variety of grab and go meals, at least initially, with limited indoor and outdoor seating. Dining Services will continue to monitor the recommendations of the county and state throughout the year.
- The Café and Loop will be set to meet 6’ social/ spatial distancing
- Social spacing signage for cueing and dining will be displayed
- Exterior seating in the courtyard will be available for students
- Additional physical barriers will be added to protect the food, staff, and students
LPU Athletics will continue to follow the guidelines of NAIA and GSAC conferences. Our goal is to make decisions about fall athletics no later than July 1. Between now and July, the national office (NAIA/GSAC) will work diligently with membership to outline safety protocols, evaluate how to handle fall season start dates and schedule structure, and consider if postseason adjustments are necessary.
General Campus-wide Procedures
- Enhanced cleaning measures will be implemented throughout the campus in the classrooms, residence halls, workspaces, and common areas of the institution
- Hand sanitizer stations will be installed at the entrance and exit of each building. In addition, LPU will invest in outdoor sanitizing stations for events and gatherings.
- Departments/offices will be responsible for helping maintain the cleanliness of their areas.
Common + Work Areas
- Social distancing markers will be physically displayed in classrooms, dining areas, and common areas of LPU.
- Physical barriers may be put in place in certain areas/offices around campus for the protection of our students, staff, and faculty.
- Some common area spaces such as the café, work out facility, gym, and chapel will be modified to meet local and state regulations and recommendations.
Policies + Procedures
- LPU will continue to follow guidelines and recommendations from the L.A. County Health Department to assure best practice and limit risk of a COVID-19 outbreak
- Faculty, staff, and students will be required to wear a face mask/covering when outside of their workspace or residence hall. In addition, LPU will provide a face mask for every LPU community member.
- Social distancing will be a mandate across campus until further notice. LPU will provide educational materials about social distancing, hand washing, high risk pre-existing medical conditions, how COVID-19 spreads, and signs to stay home from work/class. This will be distributed to the community at the beginning of the semester.
- All visits to the health and wellness center will be by appointment only. In order to make an appointment, please book on the LPU website / health and wellness webpage.
- Temperatures will be checked for all LPU community members daily at a central and designated location. (A tracking system will be in place)
Committed to Excellence
Our commitment to excellence in education and campus life is not above the safety of our students. However, we want to offer an excellent experience by reassuring that comprehensive contingency plans have been developed based on expert advice and industry standards. We will follow mandates and guidelines from our state and government officials in order to provide the best possible experience to our valued students.