Dear LPU Community,
As COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations begin to decrease in the state of California and LA County, county public health and safety officials have begun a review of the protocols for higher education and intend to loosen some of the COVID-19 restrictions. Below you will find key updates regarding reopening, vaccine distribution, and plans for Commencement 2021.
Relaxed Protocols for Spring 2021
At this time, LPU continues to operate under the permitted activities outlined in the Protocols for Institutes of Higher Education. However, the following are revisions that we are hopeful to see within the next two weeks:
- Art and music practice rooms will be able to open for individuals and small group study. All masking and distancing requirements will still apply, in addition to limited room capacities.
- Outdoor study space will be able to open for academic assistance in small groups. All masking and distancing requirements will still apply.
- The Library will be able open at a limited capacity for registered students. All masking and distancing requirements will still apply.
Once the revised guidelines are released, another update will be provided.
Beginning March 1st, staff and faculty at institutes of higher education will be eligible to receive a COVID-19 vaccination, if you choose. The COVID-19 Task Force and university officials strongly recommend that all staff and faculty receive the COVID-19 vaccination. To learn more about the vaccine and how to sign up, click here. Please note that the number of eligible individuals to receive the vaccine in LA County is quite large so the process of vaccination may take a while to roll out.
We continue to move forward with plans for a Commencement ceremony in May 2021. However, in-person ceremonies are contingent on whether or not Los Angeles County moves out of the Purple Tier, as no events are permitted in the current tier. Decreases in cases and hospitalizations indicated that things are trending in the right direction and we are hopeful this will happen by May.
Future Reopening Phases
We continue to anticipate that campus will be able to open in the fall, with modifications like smaller class sizes, distancing, masking, and outbreak management. Additional information about fall reopening will be released over the coming months.
Please note that while we are excited and looking forward to relaxed restrictions, we continue to ensure that all guidelines are followed, in order to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 on campus and allow us to continue to operate. Below you will find some key reminders:
- Follow campus guidelines: Please familiarize yourself with the attached documents: COVID-19 Policies For Campus Operations and COVID-19 Campus Policies for Essential Workers.
- Choose virtual gatherings over in-person gatherings: Continue to avoid in-person gatherings. If you must meet in person, meet outdoors, wear a face covering, and stay physically distanced (6 ft apart).
- Stay home when you are sick and obtain a COVID-19 test if symptoms persist. Additionally, if you have a known close contact to a positive COVID-19 case, please self-quarantine and obtain a COVID-19 test. Students living on campus should report exposures to Nurse Carol Duzik and employees should report exposures to HR Director Heidi Bonadie.
- Continue to follow the Travel Advisory Guidelines for LA County: Updates were made February 3rd. Learn more here.
Questions or Concerns
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the COVID-19 Task Force through this Wufoo Form and a member of team will reach out to you as soon as possible.
This all is good news as we begin the process of reopening campus, and I’m grateful for progress. We cannot wait to be together in person again!
Rise with Courage,
Angie Richey, President
Life Pacific University